TIPS ON INCREASING ENERGY EFFICIENCY & SAVING OIL
Even though heating oil is a highly efficient fuel and is cheaper than propane, oil prices can still be a concern, especially if other methods of heating your home are not viable options. However, there are steps you can take to save heating oil and improve the energy efficiency of your home. We’ve compiled some smart strategies to help cut your heating oil consumption and hopefully reduce your annual heating oil bills. Read on, and start saving both oil and money today!
- Make sure your oil boiler and tank are serviced on a regular basis. A service will ensure your boiler is working at maximum efficiency and will save heating oil.
- Use a boiler additive. A good additive can improve the overall efficiency of an oil boiler by reducing build up of deposits and limiting the formation of sludge.
- Insulate your home properly. A well-insulated home will require less heating in the winter thus saving heating oil. Be sure your home has the right amount of cavity wall insulation and roof insulation. Also, make sure you have draft excluded windows and doors and, if possible, consider double glazing or sealed units.
- Upgrade your oil boiler to a modern oil condensing boiler. This can increase the efficiency of the boiler to over 90% compared with older oil boilers that are usually only about 60-70% efficient. There are some government grants available for low income households who may be eligible for a free replacement boiler. It is worth researching if you believe you might fall into that category.
- Upgrade your heating controls. Having a modern system that allows you to more accurately control the temperature in your home can save heating oil. A zoned thermostat system that gives you more control over the temperature in different rooms of your house will allow you to only heat the areas that need it. Using radiatorthermostats will further help your ability to control the temperature on a room-by-room basis. Making sure you have a programmer can also enable you to switch the heating on and off at predetermined times. Remember that turning your thermostat down by just 1 degree can help you save up to 10% on your heating oil bills. Wow!
- Consider using a combination of renewables such as solar and ground source heat pumps with your oil boiler in order to save heating oil.
Employing these wise tips should result in immediate savings in your oil consumption, which will then naturally equate to savings on your oil bills. Another obvious way to reduce your oil bills is to compare oil prices. You can do just that here at HeatingOilApp.com or by searching online using the keywords oil delivery service near me or heating oil delivery app . We specialize in helping oil consumers comparison shop and find the best prices on oil in their local area. Put us to work, and let us help you. We are at your service!