Why Use Heating Oil Additives?
Heating oil consumers are constantly searching for ways of lowering their oil consumption and improving the efficiency of their boiler. Many will try turning down their thermostat, improving their insulation, or even replacing their boiler. Not many people, however, will consider the benefits of using heating oil additives in their fuel tank. Heating oil additives can improve the efficiency of your boiler and provide numerous other advantages such as:
- Reduction of sludge and contaminants ‒ The inclusion of corrosion inhibitors and dispersants can help keep sludge, rust and other unwanted deposits from building up in your oil tank which can result in blocked filters, boiler shutdown, and costly repairs.
- Reduction of soot deposits ‒ Deposits building up on the nozzle and heat exchanger of your boiler will reduce the efficiency of the burn. You will then have to burn more oil to maintain the desired temperature. Heating oil additives reduce this by providing a cleaner burn, which in turn will make your boiler more efficient.
- Reduction of unpleasant odors ‒ A fragranced heating oil additive can help reduce or eliminate unpleasant odors around the oil tank and boiler.
- Protection from wear and tear ‒ Using a heating oil additive in your tank can reduce the wear and tear of the various parts in your boiler. This will serve to prolong its life, reduce breakage, and lower servicing costs.
- Fuel stabilization ‒ Heating oil additives contain various antioxidants which help to stabilize the kerosene in your tank, keeping it from degrading. This can help to make sure your fuel combusts properly and your boiler gets the maximum energy out of it.
While there are many advantages to using heating oil additives, oil boiler consumers should be aware that they are not a substitute for an annual boiler service by a registered engineer. Using heating oil additives in addition to having your boiler serviced annually will help to lower breakage, improve efficiency, and make sure your boiler is safe to use.